Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

remember the shoutbox isnt private logged on users can view the shoutbox ! If you cant make a shout hit ctrl & F5 together to re-load your javascript it should then work !
@  Nollie : (16 October 2019 - 06:54 PM) Is there an easy way to bypass the clutch switch?
@  cooky : (10 October 2019 - 06:56 PM) just thought id let you know the site is up and runing again

Photo

Checking Valve Clearances

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Stubee

Stubee

found the shops

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 05:24 PM

Finally got round to checking my valve clearances:

A couple of my exhausts are down to 0.10 and a couple of intakes down to less than 0.10.

OK, so I haven't got a shim removal tool yet, but when I do I've got to take every shim (that's out of tolerance) out.
Check what size it is
Look up the required size replacement shim
Buy from Yammy dealer
Fit the correct shim
Re-measure, if they're still out I've got to go through the whole thing again

So in summary, I've got to open up the top about 3 times
1 measure
2 Remove shims and order replacements
3 Fit shims

Have I got it right?

Also, where do I get shims (other than dealer) is it worth getting a few of each at the same time as I get the tool?
What kind of cost?

(Yeah, I've got to use me bike every day).
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
- Albert Einstein.

#2 SwissJon

SwissJon

Mental overload.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,755 posts
  • Location:Across the channel where the land gets all spikey..
  • Interests:Riding bikes, fast boats, beautiful women and... Ah fk it, that's enough..

Posted 30 November 2008 - 07:05 PM

Most Yammi dealers keep these in stock.. Some will even swap them out for a small fee, they ain't expensive.. If you can get them out, I'd suggest you do what I did, and borrow a ride to the Yami dealers with your shims, get them changed and go back and pop the new ones in.. I made this diagram up when I did my own, helps keep track of what's what and where which goes.

Attached File  Shim_diagram.pdf   505.91K   103 downloads
Hung like Einstein.
Smart as a donkey.

Posted Image

#3 Stubee

Stubee

found the shops

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 07:22 PM

Thanks Swiss, that is very helpful.

I'll try to cadge the wifes car in a couple of weeks to nip and get the shims whilst the bikes in bits.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
- Albert Einstein.

#4 SwissJon

SwissJon

Mental overload.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,755 posts
  • Interests:Riding bikes, fast boats, beautiful women and... Ah fk it, that's enough..

Posted 30 November 2008 - 07:40 PM

Have fun..

It's well pleasing doing your own servicing I've found.. I feel like I've earned the right to ride it that way!

By the way, my valve cover was glued down, prying it off managed to nick the rubber gasket a tad, it leaked a teeny bit, so I put some red gasket seal round it, the semi-setting stuff, that seemed to fix it, cheaper than a new gasket anyhow.. I'll prolly get a new one when I need to do the shims again in another 20,000km. (Next week then! LoL)
Hung like Einstein.
Smart as a donkey.

Posted Image

#5 Stubee

Stubee

found the shops

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 07:54 PM

JC, mine too!

It's the first time it's been off, nipped the gasket to death and then it snapped in two places, (left part of it on, the glue just wouldn't give up. ( I think temperatures of below 0 didn't help, that's my excuse).

Had to take a stone to the top of the head in places.

The nick is starting to glisten a little, I'll do somethin about it next time I have the cover off (in a couple of weeks).
- Albert Einstein.

#6 SwissJon

SwissJon

Mental overload.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,755 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 10:51 PM

Ummm.. Rubber mallet Stubee, if you use one of them next time you need you won't dent anything. They were only 1.99 in Wilkinsons last time I looked in the UK. I ended up wedging a wide bladed bolster chisel in the gap, pried it off with only two nicks.. No idea why they do that in the factory, but it shows your engine ain't been opened before.

Keep an eye on your oil levels, and wipe any oil drips, if it burns on your engine, it's gonna take that shine right off. Prolly best to do an oil change afterwards, not sre why, just seems sensible!!
Hung like Einstein.
Smart as a donkey.

Posted Image

#7 jack

jack

using the local

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:10 PM

I've got my bike in bits at the moment sorting out forks, heated grips and chain & sprockets I suppose it's a good time to check the shims as well (19,789 miles. Although I'm a bit reluctant to take the top off and have a look my mate has offered a hand so it's going to be done.
I have the petrol tank removed and on looking at the cam cover it doesn't seem as easy to remove as I first thought. There a couple of pipes attached to it. What are they and can they be easily removed? And the gap looks tight, does anything else need to be taken off to get the cover out? :unsure:

Cheers
Jack

#8 SwissJon

SwissJon

Mental overload.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,755 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:38 AM

You should be able to wriggle the cover through that gap, shim replacement is possible without engine removal.. Just make sure, with all your wriggling, that you don't knock the cam chain off.

My cover doesn't have any attached pipes.. Where are they attached? You do need to remove the air trumpets that go up behind the oil cooler cover.. So that needs to be turned down.

One thing.. If this is the first time the shims have been checked (probably) then it's quite possible that the cover is going to be a pain to remove.. DON'T put a screwdriver or something else hard under the edge to lever it upwards, if you damage the edge, your bike will leak oil forever. I managed to get my cover off with a rubber mallet and perserverence.

You will also need a shim tool, and need to note the clearences somewhere.. Have a look here http://yamahaxjr1300...findpost&p=9193

Best thing you can do is get a Haynes manual, they're invaluable, and this process is described in detail.
Hung like Einstein.
Smart as a donkey.

Posted Image

#9 jack

jack

using the local

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 06:46 AM

The pipes are connected to the head in between the cylinders. I'll get a photo later. I'm not looking forward to taking the cam cover off at all.
Do you need the shim tool to check the clearances or are feeler gauges ok? I'm hoping that I haven't got to change any shims, just a check up!!

#10 jack

jack

using the local

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 07:28 AM

Here are the pipes I mentioned!

Attached Files

#11 SwissJon

SwissJon

Mental overload.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,755 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 08:13 AM

Oh them.. Lift the boot up and I think there's a circlip underneath, you can just undo that and pull it out of the way. I think I ended up taking it off completely at both ends.

You don't need the tool to do your checks, but if you find one out, they're handy to have around so you can pull the shim and check the number, which is on the bottom of the shim, so you can't see it unless you lift the shim out. Don't forget that when you replace the shim, put the number facing down.. It's done this way so that the cams don't wear the numbers off.

The tool is a worthwhile investment, it's a hell of a lot cheaper than getting a mechanic to do this for you, and once you have the cam cover off and measured the gaps, you've done all the hard work, replacing the shims is easy. The tool often appears on fleabay second hand.
Hung like Einstein.
Smart as a donkey.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users