Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

remember the shoutbox isnt private logged on users can view the shoutbox ! If you cant make a shout hit ctrl & F5 together to re-load your javascript it should then work !
@  sjf3 : (23 September 2020 - 10:25 PM) I'm a newbie 2008 XJR owner the case fins on the motor are very grubby and corroded what can i use to clean them up
@  angelic upstart : (10 September 2020 - 06:37 PM) anyone know what size the header nut are. 2005 model
@  KrazyK : (29 August 2020 - 01:44 PM) 2008 XJR1300 clocks/odometer/start-up diagnostics not working, any suggestions? Checked all obvious fuses/connections.
@  Lloyd. Com : (10 August 2020 - 10:51 PM) Hi all..... Just bought one of these beasts...... I had one from new 20 years ago.... Just picked this 2015 model up with 2600 miles on it..... Looking forward to making some happy biking miles.
@  SVS : (24 July 2020 - 10:47 AM) oil
@  SVS : (24 July 2020 - 10:46 AM) oil leak
@  shazza36 : (14 July 2020 - 12:55 PM) HELP NEEDED- speedo is not working properly, anyone know where i could get a 2nd hand one from that doesnt cost an absolute fortune ?? thanks in advance
@  Hedgie : (30 June 2020 - 08:19 AM) tyres
@  linfield 1000 : (20 June 2020 - 10:30 PM) xjr 1300 rear brake caliper seizing ,new seals and corrosion removed ,new pads fitted ,ride a few miles and seizes again virtually locked . any help much appreciated
@  nordude : (23 May 2020 - 01:39 PM) code 37
@  hopkins : (26 April 2020 - 10:14 AM) Hi there I have a 2003 XJR 1300 (recent purchase) took her out as usual, before the next ride out had no neutral light and she will not start? all other electrics work ok e.g. indicators, head light...stripped the ignition switch down (no issues) anyone had the same problems? if so please help me with this....cheers :-)
@  Joes : (22 March 2020 - 02:03 PM) How can I delete my account
@  lawtom : (17 March 2020 - 03:09 PM) Anyone help on my faulty clutch....??... ?
@  MAX064 : (21 February 2020 - 09:47 AM) slave cylinder
@  lawtom : (23 January 2020 - 08:18 AM) clutch
@  Boot : (20 January 2020 - 11:08 AM) From where?
@  zackzzz : (20 January 2020 - 10:44 AM) leaking oil
@  Boot : (03 January 2020 - 02:36 PM) Flat Battery!!
@  weetabix : (19 December 2019 - 05:28 PM) Help,  electric problem, I switch on , neutral light doesn’t come, press the starter and the oil light comes on and the starter doesn’t turn, no clicking from the solenoid at all ,
@  RBS33 : (23 November 2019 - 02:00 PM) What size are the spark plug holes in the head, I’m told 12mm?

Photo

Exhaust Mods

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 roby1300

roby1300

new in town

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:bikes,speed,(as in goin fast) . not goin fast at the mo thanks to a van

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:17 PM

does anyone know where i can get the mod plates for the standard exhaust in the uk ?

#2 cooky

cooky

instigator of the DARK SIDE lol

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,025 posts
  • Interests:What do you reckon??????

Posted 23 March 2009 - 06:53 PM

not in the uk but theres plrnty on ebay in germany

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...0...A1|240:1318

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...0...A1|240:1318

#3 roby1300

roby1300

new in town

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:bikes,speed,(as in goin fast) . not goin fast at the mo thanks to a van

Posted 23 March 2009 - 10:33 PM

not in the uk but theres plrnty on ebay in germany

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Yamaha-XJR-1200-1300...A1%7C240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Yamaha-XJR-1200-1300...A1%7C240%3A1318

cheers cooky

#4 TomTom

TomTom

Im shy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Bikes & computers

Posted 12 May 2009 - 06:01 PM

I take it the baffles are removable after drilling out the rivets.. what are the options for taking them out, modifying and then re-rivetting? I would like to free up just a little more noise.

#5 trapper

trapper

Welsh and Proud!

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 06:55 PM

I take it the baffles are removable after drilling out the rivets.. what are the options for taking them out, modifying and then re-rivetting? I would like to free up just a little more noise.

I took the rivets out of the rear ends of my exhausts but found that they only held on the ss / chrome end plate, could not be bothered to take off the exhaust to see if I could get the baffles out from the other end so I drilled 6 No. 1/2" holes (2 between each rivet following round in the same circular shape) in each exhaust and replaced the end plate with ss self tappers into the rivet holes, I used small washers to keep the end plate 10mm off the exhaust. You can't see the holes I have drilled unless you look closely. This doesn't make it the noisiest of exhausts but I am more than happy with the sound it gives out. When I take it for the MOT I will remove the washers so the end plate will cover / seal the holes and put them back on after.
I havn't found any difference in the performance of the bike in any way, all I have noticed is that when warm she idles ever so slightly faster, probably due to the lesser amount of back pressure.
Please check with whoever you think fit if you are going to try this. It has worked for me but would not wan't you to have problems of any sort. Perhaps some of the other members may have comments to make?

Trapper.
Posted Image

Been to hell so many times, that the devil pulls up a chair, puts the kettle on and says,"What's happened this time?"

#6 Robin

Robin

using the local

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:02 PM

I havent used the plates in mine, they look ok and sound ok., once you drill the rivets out on the back you then have the baffle pipe and plate exposed. You have to cut round this, then with older pipes you can pull the baffle pipe out, on newr ones they are tack welded further in.
Some people have taken all the baffle plates out inside, then put a straight pipe in instead.
On mine I have just taken first pipe out, left the rest and sounds ok.
Hope this isnt too long winded, and helps at all.
If you are close enough could do the basic mod for you.
Live for today as tomorrow never gets here

#7 snorkpants

snorkpants

found the shops

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Interests:Xbox360, pc gaming, music, home recording studio, playing bass and getting back into biking

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:33 PM

Does drilling holes definately stop it from passing an MOT?
Stand out from the crowd. get a yellow XJR ;-)

#8 powermouse

powermouse

leader of the gang

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,678 posts
  • Interests:bikes, beer,women,sea fishing and sleep

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:24 PM

Does drilling holes definately stop it from passing an MOT?

all depends on you mot man, mine loves the sound
still trying to beat the system...

ya best friends are.... them that ride an XJR

Posted Image[/img]

i'm single by choice....... it was her's

#9 TomTom

TomTom

Im shy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 06:51 AM

worked for me but would not wan't you to have problems of any sort. Perhaps some of the other members may have comments to make?

Trapper.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. TBH that is more sophisticated than my usual method of poking a steel spike down the pipe and belting it with a hammer. :) I thought it would be too good to be true that the baffle is held in by those 3 rivets. I'm just looking to free up a little sound because the stock pipes are prcatically silent.

#10 Robin

Robin

using the local

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:32 AM

Trapper.[/quote]

Thanks for the detailed explanation. TBH that is more sophisticated than my usual method of poking a steel spike down the pipe and belting it with a hammer. :) I thought it would be too good to be true that the baffle is held in by those 3 rivets. I'm just looking to free up a little sound because the stock pipes are prcatically silent.
[/quote]

wouldnt get hammer and bar to them, wont help much as there are pipes inside as well as the baffles, are yours the long or short pipes, or what age is the bike ?
Easiest way is to keep a standard pair and pick up some more off fleabay cheap, that way if it all goes wrong you at least have use of bike still !
Live for today as tomorrow never gets here

#11 TomTom

TomTom

Im shy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:20 AM

wouldnt get hammer and bar to them, wont help much as there are pipes inside as well as the baffles, are yours the long or short pipes, or what age is the bike ?
Easiest way is to keep a standard pair and pick up some more off fleabay cheap, that way if it all goes wrong you at least have use of bike still !

I'm not sure, I'm new to the XJR and never realised there were long and short pipes. it's a '96 model (P reg). I like the idea of taking off the end caps and drilling underneath them.

#12 Mad Mick

Mad Mick

using the local

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts
  • Interests:owt on 2 wheels

Posted 13 May 2009 - 10:25 AM

I Did the original exhaust mod a few years ago (2003) and it was well worth the effort. Mines a 2001 1300.

First remove the rivets and take off the 2 caps.

As you can see from the first pic I originally drilled six 1/2" holes in mine, but then decided to go the
whole hog and remove the entire back baffle.

Cut around or drill a series of joined holes around where its marked with the circle, then take hold of
the pipe with some pliers or something and give it a good hard pull to release the baffle.

Posted Image

Once done I just rivetted the end plates back on, but in reverse order so that the shiny plate was on
the outside.

Posted Image

But a word of warning, use GOOD QUALITY rivets (Stainless) or you may loose an end plate. ;)

Never had any problems with the bike running or at MOT time. :thumbs:
Mad Mick

A pat on the back is only a few inches away from a kick up the arse!

#13 trapper

trapper

Welsh and Proud!

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 12:44 PM

I'm not sure, I'm new to the XJR and never realised there were long and short pipes. it's a '96 model (P reg). I like the idea of taking off the end caps and drilling underneath them.

The whole drilling etc. operation from start to finish took me less than an hour. It is worth removing the end plates to have a look what is there, I have been informed that some of the early exhausts did have removable baffles behind, although I have never seen one myself.
Trapper.
Posted Image

Been to hell so many times, that the devil pulls up a chair, puts the kettle on and says,"What's happened this time?"

#14 BIKKE

BIKKE

Im shy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:27 AM

If there will be trouble with the mot man. Reinstall the old pipes that was removed in modification.
You can get the kit with a plate for this purpose or make a pair yourself.
YouŽll se the plates below.
Attached File  ExhaustModKit.jpg   20.49K   12 downloads
Black is beautiful

#15 commandocol

commandocol

new in town

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 08:07 PM

Hi! Just been thinking of doing this mod on my bike but i noticed someone saying the pipe is tack welded further in the pipe on later models! Mine is a 2005 xjr is this included in later models? If it would mean damaging the chrome trying to get at the tack weld further in i dont think it would be worth it as the exhaust's on my bike are mint and would be a shame to spoil them! Any help would be greatful. Thank's.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users