Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

remember the shoutbox isnt private logged on users can view the shoutbox ! If you cant make a shout hit ctrl & F5 together to re-load your javascript it should then work !
@  angelic upstart : (10 September 2020 - 06:37 PM) anyone know what size the header nut are. 2005 model
@  KrazyK : (29 August 2020 - 01:44 PM) 2008 XJR1300 clocks/odometer/start-up diagnostics not working, any suggestions? Checked all obvious fuses/connections.
@  Lloyd. Com : (10 August 2020 - 10:51 PM) Hi all..... Just bought one of these beasts...... I had one from new 20 years ago.... Just picked this 2015 model up with 2600 miles on it..... Looking forward to making some happy biking miles.
@  SVS : (24 July 2020 - 10:47 AM) oil
@  SVS : (24 July 2020 - 10:46 AM) oil leak
@  shazza36 : (14 July 2020 - 12:55 PM) HELP NEEDED- speedo is not working properly, anyone know where i could get a 2nd hand one from that doesnt cost an absolute fortune ?? thanks in advance
@  Hedgie : (30 June 2020 - 08:19 AM) tyres
@  linfield 1000 : (20 June 2020 - 10:30 PM) xjr 1300 rear brake caliper seizing ,new seals and corrosion removed ,new pads fitted ,ride a few miles and seizes again virtually locked . any help much appreciated
@  nordude : (23 May 2020 - 01:39 PM) code 37
@  hopkins : (26 April 2020 - 10:14 AM) Hi there I have a 2003 XJR 1300 (recent purchase) took her out as usual, before the next ride out had no neutral light and she will not start? all other electrics work ok e.g. indicators, head light...stripped the ignition switch down (no issues) anyone had the same problems? if so please help me with this....cheers :-)
@  Joes : (22 March 2020 - 02:03 PM) How can I delete my account
@  lawtom : (17 March 2020 - 03:09 PM) Anyone help on my faulty clutch....??... ?
@  MAX064 : (21 February 2020 - 09:47 AM) slave cylinder
@  lawtom : (23 January 2020 - 08:18 AM) clutch
@  Boot : (20 January 2020 - 11:08 AM) From where?
@  zackzzz : (20 January 2020 - 10:44 AM) leaking oil
@  Boot : (03 January 2020 - 02:36 PM) Flat Battery!!
@  weetabix : (19 December 2019 - 05:28 PM) Help,  electric problem, I switch on , neutral light doesn’t come, press the starter and the oil light comes on and the starter doesn’t turn, no clicking from the solenoid at all ,
@  RBS33 : (23 November 2019 - 02:00 PM) What size are the spark plug holes in the head, I’m told 12mm?
@  XJR JINKS : (15 November 2019 - 06:22 AM) SERVICE BOOK

Photo

Ran Bike While Very "low" On Oil

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 FastFreddie

FastFreddie

Im shy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 11:09 AM

Well I did an oil and oil filter change recently after having drained out the old oil through the sump plug. Old oil that came out from sump and oil filter was in total 3.1 liter.

I then followed the manuals instructions and filled her up with 3.35 litres of fresh oil. The oil level in the sightglass was now at upper level.

So I went for a few rides in the days following the oil change and the bike went super and no problems and the oil level

light performed as it has to and never came on whilst riding.

But now this morning I had the bike on the centrestand to oil my chain and by chance I decided to look at the oil level window

and saw no oil in the window at all. So I decided to top up the oil and it took exactly 500ml (half a litre) to bring the oil to the minimum 

level mark in the oil level window. Adding another 500 ml then brought the oil level to the maximum level mark.  In other words I have been running

my bike for approximately 700 kilometres with my oil level 500ml below the minimum level mark. As the total oil capacity of the XJR1300 is 4.2 litres

of oil that means I have been running her with  3.35 litres of oil which is a whole litre less then the maximum capacity.

Now my big question is would this have caused any damage? Remember the oil level light never came on so I tend to think that the 3.35 litres of oil that was in the bike 

was probably enough to still run safely on without causing any damage.

I hope I am right but would appreciate input and opinions please.

Thanks

Fred

Edited by FastFreddie, 05 April 2018 - 05:53 PM.

#2 leightonbike121

leightonbike121

Im shy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 05:36 PM

hi,i think that you will find that there are actually 2 different amounts of oil required on an oil change,depending on if you are changing the filter or not.i think that you replaced the changing oil only amount.with filter amount is usually around 500ml more.

#3 FastFreddie

FastFreddie

Im shy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 11:06 PM

hi,i think that you will find that there are actually 2 different amounts of oil required on an oil change,depending on if you are changing the filter or not.i think that you replaced the changing oil only amount.with filter amount is usually around 500ml more.

WRONG

#4 leightonbike121

leightonbike121

Im shy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 10:00 AM

REALLY ????? LISTEN BRO,I DONT SEE 20 REPLIES TO YOUR QUESTION,AT LEAST I TOOK THE TIME TO OFFER YOU SOME ADVICE.EVERY BIKE WILL HAVE 2 DIFFERENT CAPACITIES IF CHANGING THE FILTER OR NOT,SO IT IS A VALID SUGGESTION.MAYBE THERES A SITE WHERE YOU CAN LOOK UP SOME MANNERS.........

#5 FastFreddie

FastFreddie

Im shy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 11:35 AM

REALLY ????? LISTEN BRO,I DONT SEE 20 REPLIES TO YOUR QUESTION,AT LEAST I TOOK THE TIME TO OFFER YOU SOME ADVICE.EVERY BIKE WILL HAVE 2 DIFFERENT CAPACITIES IF CHANGING THE FILTER OR NOT,SO IT IS A VALID SUGGESTION.MAYBE THERES A SITE WHERE YOU CAN LOOK UP SOME MANNERS.........

Sorry bro I didn't mean to come across as rude at all. It wasn't my intention so I apologise if I offended you. What I meant was no I replaced the amount of oil with 3.35 litres excactly as the owners manual states that when doing oil change with filter change then replacement oil must be 3.35 litres. That is also the amount of old oil which drained from the sump and the filter.

#6 leightonbike121

leightonbike121

Im shy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 01:06 PM

Oil quantity: Without oil filter element replacement: 3.0 L With oil filter element replacement: 3.35 L Total amount (dry engine): 4.2 L

#7 Boot

Boot

Chief Scapegoat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,573 posts
  • Interests:Bikes, the odd beer, the odd woman, the odd life.

Posted 03 April 2018 - 02:20 PM

Can I suggest that when changing oil in any engine you use the recommended amount of oil required as a guideline as to how much to buy.

Drain the old oil, put in the recommended replacement, run, check and top up.

There is another thing to be careful of. We know the new filter will take some oil but I think the filter contains an anti drain down valve for the oil cooler, so when you remove the filter it will allow the oil held in the cooler to flow back into the sump. That might be another area that would take more oil to fill. 

Oh shit!

#8 leightonbike121

leightonbike121

Im shy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 04:41 PM

yes,good point.

#9 FastFreddie

FastFreddie

Im shy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 05:11 PM

Oil quantity: Without oil filter element replacement: 3.0 L With oil filter element replacement: 3.35 L Total amount (dry engine): 4.2 L

Yes Leighton that's right. So I still dont know how come my oil was 500ml below the low level mark while on centre stand and took 1 liter to bring it up to the max mark. No oil leaks anywhere at all.

So that is why I ask....will I have damaged my engine by running approximately 700 km with oil 500ml below lowest mark? Oil level light never came on at all whilst riding. It comes on for a half second or so when you turn ignition on and comes on for before you start the engine and goes out soon as engine starts.

Edited by FastFreddie, 03 April 2018 - 07:11 PM.

#10 FastFreddie

FastFreddie

Im shy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 05:21 PM

Can I suggest that when changing oil in any engine you use the recommended amount of oil required as a guideline as to how much to buy.

Drain the old oil, put in the recommended replacement, run, check and top up.

There is another thing to be careful of. We know the new filter will take some oil but I think the filter contains an anti drain down valve for the oil cooler, so when you remove the filter it will allow the oil held in the cooler to flow back into the sump. That might be another area that would take more oil to fill. 

Hi Boot. When I drained the old oil I first undid sump drain plug and drained the oil into a container and then undid the filter and drained that oil from the filter. Then I measured all the old oil together and it was 3.1 liter.

Only then did I replace drain plug with new crush washer and tightened it and then put in new oil filter and tightened it all up and then I added 3.35 liter new oil as per the manual. .So I still dont know how come my oil was 500ml below the low level mark while on centre stand and took 500ml to bring level to lower mark and 1 liter to bring it up to the max mark. No oil leaks anywhere at all. That means in the end I added a total of 4.35 liters of new oil so that would mean that the old oil level must have been too low already but it also means then that I drained the bike completely of it's total oil capacity of 4.2 liters . But I thought it's not possible to drain entire oil content as some oil would always remain in nooks and crannies of the engine during a normal oil change.

So that is why I ask....will I have damaged my engine by running approximately 700 km with oil 500ml below lowest mark? Oil level light never came on at all whilst riding. It comes on for a half second or so when you turn ignition on and comes on before you start the engine and goes out soon as engine starts just the way it's meant to and the engine sounds fine as far as I can hear. So what do you think? Do you think the engine has suffered by running with oil 500ml below the lowest mark? I have heard somewhere that the low level mark is actually still quite a bit higher then the actual critical low level of oil which gives the non mechanical minded rider who does his own oil changes like me a safety margin.

Edited by FastFreddie, 05 April 2018 - 05:50 PM.

#11 leightonbike121

leightonbike121

Im shy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 11:27 PM

i would have thought that your motor would be fine.the oil light doesnt work of the oil level it works off an oil pressure switch,obviously if your oil level was low enough for the oil light to come on it would be of concern but as it stayed off your oil pressure must have been sufficient to lubricate your engine.as boot said earlier,it is best to fire it up & re-check the level,just for peace of mind.as for your oil capacity inconsistencies,i guess there must be a reason for it but for now it remains one of lifes great mysteries lol. if you do find a reason for it,i for one would be interested in knowing.

#12 FastFreddie

FastFreddie

Im shy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 07:08 AM

i would have thought that your motor would be fine.the oil light doesnt work of the oil level it works off an oil pressure switch,obviously if your oil level was low enough for the oil light to come on it would be of concern but as it stayed off your oil pressure must have been sufficient to lubricate your engine.as boot said earlier,it is best to fire it up & re-check the level,just for peace of mind.as for your oil capacity inconsistencies,i guess there must be a reason for it but for now it remains one of lifes great mysteries lol. if you do find a reason for it,i for one would be interested in knowing.

Thanks Leighton...yes I agree it is a mystery with the oil inconsistencies but it is reassuring to know the oil light did not come on. One thing though...you mention as do many others in other forums that it is an oil pressure warning light but in the owners manual they are very clear about it being an oil level warning light. See attached images from the owners manual

Attached Files

#13 leightonbike121

leightonbike121

Im shy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 01:49 PM

you have a good point there freddie,not really something that i have paid a lot of attention to before,but you are right,....ign on....oil light on a few seconds then off.....crank the motor,oil light flickers then off once it has started up.so,multi function.surely once that the motor is running it would not be able to check the oil level as it would be circulating.the flickering when cranking the motor is the oil pressure building up.most bikes are... ign on.....neutral light on,oil light on & oil light stays on until you run the motor.obviously i have noticed this with my xjr but never really given it a thought,i switch on ignition & (subconsciously) wait for red light to go out,then start.anyway,the point i am making is it must be multi-function & didnt come on when you used it.

#14 FastFreddie

FastFreddie

Im shy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 02:03 PM

yep also a good point that the sensor would not be able to check the oil level whilst running...hmmmmm or maybe it can because if theres enough oil in the engine then even when running

there would be enough oil at the bottom covering the sensor as not all the oil is circulating at the same time. Also it says in the manual that even if the oil is filled to the specified level the oil light might still flicker when going up a steep incline or around sharp corners. That is the behaviour of a oil level sensor not a oil pressure sensor.

#15 leightonbike121

leightonbike121

Im shy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 03:22 PM

hmm,maybe a good topic,in itself,to ask the forum....someone probably knows or maybe a schematic diagram of the switch. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users