Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

remember the shoutbox isnt private logged on users can view the shoutbox ! If you cant make a shout hit ctrl & F5 together to re-load your javascript it should then work !
@  Hedgie : (30 June 2020 - 08:19 AM) tyres
@  linfield 1000 : (20 June 2020 - 10:30 PM) xjr 1300 rear brake caliper seizing ,new seals and corrosion removed ,new pads fitted ,ride a few miles and seizes again virtually locked . any help much appreciated
@  nordude : (23 May 2020 - 01:39 PM) code 37
@  hopkins : (26 April 2020 - 10:14 AM) Hi there I have a 2003 XJR 1300 (recent purchase) took her out as usual, before the next ride out had no neutral light and she will not start? all other electrics work ok e.g. indicators, head light...stripped the ignition switch down (no issues) anyone had the same problems? if so please help me with this....cheers :-)
@  Joes : (22 March 2020 - 02:03 PM) How can I delete my account
@  lawtom : (17 March 2020 - 03:09 PM) Anyone help on my faulty clutch....??... ?
@  MAX064 : (21 February 2020 - 09:47 AM) slave cylinder
@  lawtom : (23 January 2020 - 08:18 AM) clutch
@  Boot : (20 January 2020 - 11:08 AM) From where?
@  zackzzz : (20 January 2020 - 10:44 AM) leaking oil
@  Boot : (03 January 2020 - 02:36 PM) Flat Battery!!
@  weetabix : (19 December 2019 - 05:28 PM) Help,  electric problem, I switch on , neutral light doesn’t come, press the starter and the oil light comes on and the starter doesn’t turn, no clicking from the solenoid at all ,
@  RBS33 : (23 November 2019 - 02:00 PM) What size are the spark plug holes in the head, I’m told 12mm?
@  XJR JINKS : (15 November 2019 - 06:22 AM) SERVICE BOOK
@  Nollie : (16 October 2019 - 06:54 PM) Is there an easy way to bypass the clutch switch?
@  cooky : (10 October 2019 - 06:56 PM) just thought id let you know the site is up and runing again

Photo

Xjr1200 Carb On Xjr1300

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Connor

Connor

new in town

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 11:48 AM

I'm new to this group and carburettors in general, but does anyone have advice on using a 1996 XJR1200 carburettor on an 1999 XJR1300 ? From what I've heard they will fit but may have different jets? What's the solution, and will it run without modification?
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

#2 DaveT

DaveT

Im shy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Women, Bikes and Whiskey.

Posted 24 June 2020 - 06:49 PM

Hey Connor and  welcome

Anything is possible with these kinda things, but can I ask why you want to use 1200 carbs on a 13?

Dave

#3 Connor

Connor

new in town

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 07:28 PM

Thanks
I can't find a 1300 carb anywhere, so at the minute I'd settle for just about anything that fits and runs. I know the 1200 carb will fit right in, but might need new jets? Just want to find out what my options are before I buy and courier anything overseas

#4 DaveT

DaveT

Im shy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 09:18 PM

Fair enough mate,

So a simple answer is yes they'd work 'as is' but I would not recommend it.... You would either need to be really good at reading plugs, or (and definitely the best option) have the bike put on a dyno and keep a close eye on the A/F ratio as she goes.

There are lots of factors here, fuel Research Octane Number (Ron) available in South Africa? Is the bike modified at all?? Do you have PAIRS fitted down there??? How bloody hot is it this time of year???? Lots!

To be honest, there are plenty of 1300 carbs available internationally so it's probably cheaper to pay to post them rather than modify 1200 jobs do you not think? 

My best advice is to Google harder and look outside your own country for the right bits and be patient :(

Hope this helps

Dave

#5 Connor

Connor

new in town

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 10:25 PM

RON of 93 or 95 is standard here. Bike is 100% stock (it also only has 14000km on the clock).
Temperature now is fairly cool being winter but still round 18°c on average. Summer will usually sit round mid 30s. As it stands even if I needed to mod a set of 1200 carbs I'm still looking at importing. Parts just don't exist here, even from a dealership.

Do you have any recommended groups/forums/sites where I could source some carbs or find out more info? Google has not been as helpful as expected in this scenario unfortunately.

Will keep looking though and hope things come right
Thanks for the info, it did help

#6 DaveT

DaveT

Im shy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 06:54 PM

Hello again Connor,

I'm glad this is helpful for you and thanks for the extra info.

Warm isn't too much of an issue really as cooler air is denser an therefore could cause something called pre ignition.

The 1200 carbs are set up for a slightly smaller displacement engine (about 1184cc or something similar I think the 1200 is) however although the 1300 is actually a 1250cc, so not much in it.

The carb bodies are the same dimensions on both bikes I believe, but the internal jets and needles will be different sizes for the smaller capacity of the 1200 on a stock set.

So, air and fuel ratio is critical really and it does not take much error to start to melt the engines components... Ron is the fuels ability to resist pre ignition, the higher the number, the more resistant it is. We have 95, 97 and 99 in the UK and I always use 97 or 99 in mine.

I have a 2000 reg SP with every mod on this forum pretty much, and its sweet, so responsive to a light fettle!

So the way I see it you have two ish options really:

1. 1200 carbs with a set of aftermarket jets (stage 1 from dynajet for example) retail at about £130.00 plus the price of the carbs also....

2. 1300 carbs with stock jets.

There is a possible 3rd option;

1200 carbs, +1/2 turn out on idle screws, remove the diaphragms and the intermediate needles, put a small washer between them and the slide (to lift them up slightly) and then dyno time to check A/F.

Phew, hope this all makes sense.

Option 2 is my fave, try eBay.co.uk as we have several scrap dealers who brake bikes, just cost you more postage really. Message them and check before you buy.

Oh and remember that from 98-2001 the 1300 had different carbs to the 2002 onwards bikes :ninja:

Good luck and keep us posted,

Dave.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users